Follow our tips to make your gardens shine this spring
It’s time to set up your terrace and sit down to enjoy the good weather. Play with your creativity and add a different decoration to your garden for the summer. Remove diseased, dry or withered leaves, rake and clean your garden. Place new plants and fill your green space with an explosion of color thanks to the materials and tools you can find in Agrojardín.
Pay attention to watering
With increasing temperatures, our plants begin their growth phase, so it’s advisable to increase the frequency of irrigation, keep it constant and adapt it to each plant.
The usual thing is watering every evening or every two evenings, ensuring that the land is never completely dry. Adjusting the irrigation to the needs of each plant is very important to prevent the appearance of pests and diseases.
- For your indoor plants – let the substrate dry between waterings to avoid rotting. Flowering plants need more water, but it’s important not to flood them.
- For your outdoor garden – use planters or containers that drain water properly, and don’t forget to water your aromatic plants abundantly.
Time to clean up your crops
May is the quintessential month to prune your hedges and make the new buds grow better. In addition, spend part of the time removing dry and diseased branches, as well as epicormic branches from shrubs and rose bushes, so the plants grow strong and healthy taking advantage of the good spring conditions.
- For your indoor plants – focus on removing dry flowers and dead branches.
- For your outdoor garden – remove weeds from the flowerbeds and prune the hedges, leaving the lower area wider than the upper area to withstand winds and other accidents.
The key element: compost
Look for a substrate that has a suitable structure and texture, always bearing in mind that a plant that lives in a pot doesn’t need the same thing as another that grows in the ground. This is a task that demands attention, since both deficiency and excess have negative consequences for plants. Adjust dosages according to manufacturer’s recommendations and dispense when indicated.
- For your indoor plants – remove the surface of the pots to take away plant debris, and add new substrate on top.
- For your outdoor garden – fertilize regularly to ensure the flowers receive the proper nutrients. Also, take the opportunity to install guides for tall plants.
Protect against pests and diseases
To prevent problems in the health of your plants, you should apply insecticidal treatments against aphids, mealybugs and other insects every 15 days. In addition, the best way to prevent the appearance of these unwanted visitors is to improve the quality of the soil through its correct fertilization and adapting the irrigation to the needs of the plant.
In the case of indoor plants, it will also be necessary to take them out from time to time, but always under a shade so they enjoy open air without getting sunburned.
With these tips, your spaces will be prepared for long sunny days and good weather. Now sit back and enjoy the vital and floral explosion phenomenon that a well groomed garden offers.